Stress is perhaps the number 1 cause of health problems in the 21th century. Stress related diseases are on the rise. In fact, it’s estimated that almost 90% of the mental and physical illnesses are originated from stress. It’s an alarming statistics. It seems like the more advanced we get the more stress we have.
Whether you like it or not, stress will always be around us, we can’t get rid of it. The question is how to best deal with our stress?
Lets look at six ways to deal with the stress in our life in a healthy and effective manner.
1. Talk about your problems with your loved ones, your family and closed friends. If you’re currently living alone for some reason, get out of your house and look for friends, join a group or gym, learn to live life! Don’t bottle up your problems, they will become a time bomb and difficult to deal with as time goes by.
2. Exercise regularly and exercise often. Join a gym and make a commitment to go there at least 3 or 4 times a week, make it a habit otherwise don’t join! Also, you don’t need a gym to exercise, get on your Snickers and go for a walk or run for 30 minutes every day or 3-4 days a week. Again, make it a habit. No excuses! Exercise relieves tension and produces a calming effect.
3. Sign up for a Yoga class. Yes, men can do Yoga too. You will learn how to breathe, relax and stay focused.
4. Turn off your television and computer half and hour before your bed time. Play some classical or instrumental music softly and read a favorite book of yours. Ocean or nature sounds are a perfect music to release stress. Yes, music does calm the savage beast.
5. Eat well and eat healthy. Eat at least 2 servings of vegetables and fruits each day. Avoid coffee and drink more water, if you have to drink coffee, don’t drink more than 2 cups a day. And put less sugar in your coffee. Eat white meat instead of red meat. Eating healthy diets can become an important factor in limiting your stress.
6. Make certain that you have enough sleep every night. Sleep deprivation not only can cause stress but other serious ailments such as heart problems and high blood pressure. Make a habit to go to bed the same time every night and also wake up on the same time every morning.
Dealing with stress can be challenging but don’t allow it to control your life. Learn to deal with the beast, it’s not difficult if you do care for yourself and make a commitment to cope with your stress. If you are stressed out, you won’t be productive and won’t be much good to anyone. Not to mention that it will also endanger your health or even kill you.
If you’re a busy person, don’t forget to give yourself a break every now and then. Go and do something you enjoy, go to see your favorite movie, buy a new outfit, go for a massage, or visit a salon, have they washed your hair and change your hair style.
Life is too short; and stress can reduce it further. Nothing is more important than your health or state of mind. So don’t fall victim to your stress, learn to overcome it.